The cottage sits in the quaint village of Patching, between Arundel and Worthing. Built on the Duke of Norfolk’s estate in 1844, this flint cottage was once part of the dairy at Church Farm. It has been modernised for comfortable holiday accommodation but yet still retaining some of it’s character. The cottage is situated adjacent to the church (St. John the Divine) within the South Downs National Park, with uninterrupted views across farmland.
The cottage is perfectly positioned for exploring the South Downs. The Monarch Way passes by the farm and there are numerous footpaths giving wonderful views of the downs, the sea and in springtime the woods are filled with bluebells. To the east is Long Furlong, a beautiful stretch of downland, easily reached from the next village of Clapham, where a walk along the top gives great views.
The historic town of Arundel with it’s castle (home of the Duke’s of Norfolk) is only 5 miles to the west. The castle is one of the great treasure houses of England. Arundel also has a Cathedral, excellent restaurants and tea rooms, antique shops, boating lake and a “Wildfowl and Wetlands Centre” run by the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust.
Equally accessible is the south coast, with Climping and Littlehampton beaches just 15 minutes drive away. Littlehampton’s West Beach is designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest.
Goodwood and Fontwell racecourses are nearby along with the Cathedral city of Chichester with it’s famous Festival Theatre.
Locally there are two pubs serving food within half a mile of the cottage: The Fox and The World’s End.
Local Shop – 2 miles, Angmering
Supermarket – 3 miles, Rustington
Local Pub – 0.5 miles, Patching
Mainline Rail Service – 5 miles, Arundel
International Airport – 35 miles, Gatwick